Monday, November 9, 2009

[NASCAR-Group] Re: A change I would like to see happen .......

 

Wassup brick!

In my analogy about the football player, I recon what I was going for
was that opposing teams do not share information, nor shouldn't, a
pointed thing in Nascar I agree with you on. However, an opposing player
often does, and has 'played for the other team". Did not Jr drive Kyle
Busch's number 5 at Texas a few years back because the boy left without
notifying crew or owner, and this after he actually plowed into the rear
of the number 8? The very man that is Jr's crew chief now, Lance McGrew
asked him to.To moralize on the point of whether that's a good thing or
not isn't what I'm reaching for here necessarily, it's just
sportsmanship, and that is something I have absolutely no problem with.
Conversely this: Sportsmanship is onething, this crap that exists in
Nascar today is off the wire man. See, I have followed this sport from
childhood, and I lived for every 'tape delayed' event on Wide World of
Sports, to any time ESPN would give it some regional coverage over, get
this... PROFESSIONAL DIVING, and...... wait for it... waaaaaaiit forrrrr
iiiiit....... Cheerleading competitions. Eww. Nevertheless, I was glued
to the television anytime I heard there might be some coverage, and this
since 1975.. almost 35 years. Hell man, remember the old Sports
Calvalcade on TNN? ASA, NASCAR,NHRA, Off Road, swamp buggys.. anything
they could get lined up and race.. Rick Benjamin, Eli Gold, Bob
Jenkins, Ken Squire, Chris Economake(sp?), David Hobbs... I'm actually
killing the point now. I am giving you a big hell yeah when it comes to
the latter part of your post to me. I DO SO VERY MUCH miss those days,
and to me Brick, with the advent of all these safety features, why not
try and resemble some of that racing by first, building a car that can
actually do that, secondly, get rid of all political correctness...(side
point: There is no room for political correctness in anything but
politics. I do not advocate the removal of common sense however. Don't
say the "F" word on the tele and what not), and third, get rid of
Pemberton, Darby, Brian, Helton, and their 'mini me's" that follow them
around. Bring in those that most favored the Smokey Eunick or Harry
Hyde, and let them run the show. Dude, ratings would be such a non
issue.

There are other things, one that you touched on. For some retarded
reason, Nascar has taken a very prestigious race at Indy, and have
allowed it to be relegated to a cable network? A network that, even if
it carried the Daytona 500, would still not attract enough viewers to
keep it out of a slump, much less Indy. Yet, these tracks, these cookie
cutters are just chock full of that quality 'nap time' portions of the
race. Like last night in Texas. Is not the last 50 laps of a cookie
cutter race supposed to be a race? What's this slowing down and not
racing, just so you can finish? Indy, Talladega, Watkins Glen,
Darlington, Bristol..(before Bruton Smith installed 'progressive
banking'), Atlanta, (with a tire that will work), Martinsville,
Richmond, Dover, and end it all back where it started, Daytona.. if it
were up to me, and we just had to have a 'Chase for the Cup', those
would be my picks for the last ten. No NH, no Texas, No Cali, no Kansas,
no Charlotte.. see where I'm going? The chase is mostly cookie cutters,
with a plate, a short track, and what not. Put all disciplines in there.
Then, remove that mentality of the 'chasers' being some special gr0up
that 'non chasers' shouldn't race. Like the deal with Keslowski and
Montoya a few weeks back, when Nascar got on to Kes for "racing a chaser
too hard". Don't care. The boy's got every right. The owner of that car
built it, they got an honest check from a sponsor who deserves the same
as a chaser's sponsor.

Sometimes, I get to the point I'd rather watch Olympic Dwarf Throwing
instead.

Brick, I got some quotes for you, and after reading them, you'll know
what everyone else on this website already knows about me.

A.J. Foyt "What's this play nice thing? When you're out there racin,
you're supposed to hate that guy, beat that guy"
A.J. again... "Hell, I could win when I wuz lucky, when I finally got
good, I couldn't win a damned thing.."

Johnny Rutherford: "Luck? Yeah, that's where opportunity meets
preparation, nothing more"

Dale Earnhardt Sr, in an interview from 1987: "Whatdya mean, what's my
job? Hell, my job is to go fast, turn left, win the race. My job is to
know more about my car than anyone else. My job is to kick your butt if
you're up for the challenge"

then of course, his famous quote over the scanner, in Charlotte, in the
early nineties..."F... all this, drop the damned rag and let's race!"

Like you, I could go on for hours. I just got an idea for a thread
post, so..

race on man.

moi
> >
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment