Monday, October 26, 2009

Re: [StockSSDragRacing] R I P Mr. Towers

 

Good guy!  Always helpful and his photo collection was great when needing that final reference material for finishing up old drag cars. Always had a strong opinion on the current state of the hobby and those involved too.
 
Alex

--- On Sat, 10/24/09, mark janaky <dart4261964@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: mark janaky <dart4261964@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [StockSSDragRacing] R I P Mr. Towers
To: StockSSDragRacing@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, October 24, 2009, 11:54 PM

 
I have been thinking about what to write about Dick since I learned of his passing today from Jim Kramer. Reed warned me the other day that this was eminent. Ken, yes this was the same Dick Towers from Matchracemaddness and Patrick, yes, Dick had a orange 68 Hemi Dart - same one you posted a picture of when Gene Barnhart owned it. I am truly saddened by the loss of a friend and my sympathy goes out to his family.
I first came into contact with Dick years ago buying Motown Missile T-Shirts from him. Then when I started researching the 68 Hemi S/S cars I contacted Dick and he was an immense help with photos and info. After a few months of talking about what I was trying to do and buying photos from Dick he mentioned to me that he had a Hemi Dart. He had a little history  and I thought I might know what car it was . Within a week we had put the complete history together. I first met Dick in person in 05 at Fred Englehart's annual show when he came with Jim Kramer. Shortly after Dick called me about putting on another 68 Hemi S/S reunion (the last one had been in Carlisle in 93). Fred was OK with having it in conjunction with his annual show  so we went to work on getting people to attend (along with help from many others). The show was a success - we had no intention of trying to do this again but a few of the owners mentoned " what are you going to in 08' as it will be the 40th anniversary of the cars"? I mentioned this to Dick and a few months later he calls me up and asks "are you ready to do it again"? The Hemi Reunion was Dick and Jim's idea and I am proud to have been part of it.
Dick was somewhat of a pioneer for preservation of the cars, history and photos and very passionate about it. The photo collection that Dick has amassed is second to none. I don't know how many of you have ever tried getting old photos from old Dragstrip photographers but either they have it and won't look for it or they have thrown away their negatives from back then. Dick saw this problem and purchased some of the old photographers collections. He added to these over the years. Typically, Dick could tell you on the phone if he had photos of the car you were looking for as he had cataloged them (he had 1000's of photos!). I know some people would tell me he charges too much, well I have had the pleasure of going through some of the old negatives from our dragstrip and let me tell you it VERY time consuming work! Dick was truly one of the "Good Guys" in this hobby. Not only have we lost a friend but Drag Racing has lost an archivist of its history.
RIP old friend,
 
Mark Janaky
 
 
--- On Sat, 10/24/09, Patrick Whitacre <div1racer@yahoo. com> wrote:

From: Patrick Whitacre <div1racer@yahoo. com>
Subject: Re: [StockSSDragRacing] R I P Mr. Towers
To: StockSSDragRacing@ yahoogroups. com
Date: Saturday, October 24, 2009, 7:49 PM



 Is this the same Dick Towers that owned an orange 68 Hemi Dart?
Patrick.

--- On Sat, 10/24/09, allen coard <al27712@yahoo. com> wrote:

From: allen coard <al27712@yahoo. com>
Subject: [StockSSDragRacing] R I P Mr. Towers
To: "ss stock" <stockssdragracing@ yahoogroups. com>
Date: Saturday, October 24, 2009, 5:04 PM

 
    R.I.P. Mr. Towers, All us Racers loved you, But god love you more. I am shore i met him at the HEMI reunion, but there is one thing i do no, we had one thing in co men we love Drag Racing. The Coard family  




__._,_.___
Community email addresses:
  Post message: StockSSDragRacing@onelist.com
  Subscribe:    StockSSDragRacing-subscribe@onelist.com
  Unsubscribe:  StockSSDragRacing-unsubscribe@onelist.com
  List owner:   StockSSDragRacing-owner@onelist.com

Shortcut URL to this page:
  http://www.onelist.com/community/StockSSDragRacing
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment